Why we do what we do
The way the media currently works is a stitch up
- 80% of the press is owned by 5 Billionaires
- The government controls the BBC’s purse strings
- Tax dodging multinational companies pay for most of what we see, hear and read
Why we support Indy Media
- Independent Media – media free of corporate or government control – is the only real way to hold power to account. That’s how we see it anyway.
- The only way it can remain independent and do its job effectively is if we all chip in.
- This isn’t only about keeping it alive – we need the independent media to become the key way we get information.
- We need to build the resources for independent media to do accurate reporting, investigative journalism, comment and analysis, data journalism, culture and much more. On a scale not seen before in the UK.
- We can only do this with your help.
Without a functioning media we cannot have a functioning democracy
- Our public debates on recent referenda have been ill informed and devoid of accurate information
- To solve the numerous problems that we face as a society (and as a species) we need access to more accurate information.
- We need information that engages us, rather than evoking fear and despair
- Ideally presented in a way that helps build consensus, rather than divide us
We need a way to get information that doesn’t depend on Billionaires, Multi National Companies or the Government
What are our rules
All of our partners have to sign up to the following code
- Abide by the NUJ (National Union of Journalists) code of conduct – especially regarding accuracy
- They are not reliant on corporate or state funding
- They support full unionisiation of their workplaces