Why we do what we do
The way the media currently works is a stitch up
- 80% of the press is owned by 5 Billionaires
- The BBC runs scared of the government of the day
- Tax dodging multinational companies pay for most of what we see, hear and read
Without a functioning media we cannot have a functioning democracy
- Our public debates on recent referenda have been ill informed and devoid of accurate information
- To solve the numerous problems that we face as a society (and as a species) we need access to more accurate information.
- We need information that engages us, rather than evoking fear and despair
- Ideally presented in a way that helps build consensus, rather than divide us
We need a way to get information that doesn’t depend on Billionaires, Multi National Companies or the Government
Why we support Indy Media
- Independent Media – media free of corporate or government control – is the only real way to hold power to account. That’s how we see it anyway.
- The only way it can remain independent and do its job effectively is if we all chip in.
- This isn’t only about keeping it alive – we need the independent media to become the key way we get information.
- We need to build the resources for independent media to do accurate reporting, investigative journalism, comment and analysis, data journalism, culture and much more. On a scale not seen before in the UK.
- We can only do this with your help.
What are our rules
All of our partners have to sign up to the following code
- Abide by the NUJ (National Union of Journalists) code of conduct – especially regarding accuracy
- They are not reliant on corporate or state funding
- They support full unionisiation of their workplaces